Friday, September 5, 2008

How far is too far to go to satisfy a craving?

Okay, so I'll admit that this is not a sight seeing blog. This one has more to do with the day to day life . . okay it's not even that . .it's my stubborness. So, with your indulgence, let me relate . .

About two weeks ago, David suggested we have steak in our favorite place, which is TGI Friday's. We never even have to look at the menu anymore we know exactly what we want when we go in-the filet mignon with burgundy sauce for me and peppercorn sauce for him and for sides a salad for both of us might with ranch dressing and his without dressing and cheesy mash for both of us. It tastes beyond compare and we always leave the place satisfied. Going there for the steak is our special treat. Much to our surprise this time however the filet mignon had been removed from the menu. We chose one of the other cuts of meat available, but it just wasn't the same. The waitress was spectacular and provided me with contact information so that I could register my menu concern. I have a sense written an e-mail which has been answered with a generic will look into it.

So as a preppared for dinner tonight, I looked in the freezer and saw that we had some small eye of rounds which are similar to the filet mignon. I promptly took them out of the freezer my thoughts turning towards dinner already.

Let me preface this by explaining that we have reached the fall of English weather. The weather for the past couple of days has been rainy and often on with heavy clouds in between the rain. My dinner plan meant that I would have to grill, outside. This did not concern me at first because the weather today had been only spots of rain lasting no longer than 10 minutes at any one time and really only being light showers.

The time to start dinner came and I went outside in the damp weather, no rain, to start the grill. As soon as I started the charcoal chimney, the rain started and it proved that it was going to continue for the next 45 minutes to an hour.

This is where we come to my question-how far would you go to satisfy a craving? Migrating saw me standing outside with an umbrella protecting, not myself, but the charcoal chimney so that the charcoal would actually catch fire. After babysitting the charcoal chimney in the rain for more than a half an hour I had what I considered good enough coals to start the steak. Now while I cannot simulate the cheesy mash I have provided our mozzarella sticks and a biscuit in lieu of the other sides. I write this as I wait for the steaks to finish cooking, they are taking longer than expected due to the dampness on even the hot coals.

I can only hope that my dedication to satisfy the craving will meet with success. I don't know why I felt the need to share this with you all, perhaps because I thought myself ridiculous and thought you would all enjoy the laugh.

Here's hoping that you meet with success to satisfy whatever craving you have.

FYI . .the steak turned out fabulous and the craving was satisfied. Later on this evening I heard a terrible downpour of rain for a good half hour and was glad that we had eaten earlier.

No comments: