Sunday, June 16, 2013

An actual vacation

It has been almost a year since my last post. How sad is that? It isn't that life hasn't been fun in Sunny California, it's more like we have been busy living it.

It is hard to believe that we have been here almost four years. Soon my husband will retire from military service and start his next big adventure. That looks like it will take us to Fort Belvoir, Virginia. As luck would have it, some of our previous neighbors are settled in that general area so we won't be starting from scratch as far as finding someone we know. In the interim, however, we find ourselves with some extra time and a lot of places on the West Coast that we used to have plenty of time to see and are now scrambling to fit in. Thus the need for a road trip.

We drove North along Highways 1 and 101 Sunday afternoon. The Pacific Ocean's blue waters visible to our left. First stop, Silver Surf Motel in San Simeon. It is a little dated but obviously cared for with updates happening where possible. We arrived late and therefore turned in almost right away. We still are not far from the ocean and, as I lie here typing this, I can hear the waves crashing on the beach nearby. It is very soothing. It also reminds me of sitting on the beach as a kid with my Grandfather watching the sunset. What pleasant sounds and memories to fill my dreams tonight.

With that, I think I will sign off. Morning will come early and hopefullywith a tour of Hearst Castle for me to write about.

No comments: