Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Prep

Ever watch paint dry in anticipation? Probably not . .but I get ahead of myself.

We had to have some plaster and painting work done here at the house and they were relatively quick bout it (only a little over 1 week) but it's been frustrating especially since 'Tis the Season and I'm ready to work on Christmas Decorations and more importantly Christmas Cookies!

The painter has been here the past 2 days working in both the Living Room and the Kitchen and I've done my darnedest to stay out of his way because I would be the one who would accidentally brush against the wet paint and make him therefore have to redo it, thereby taking more time. I'm a klutz that way. So yesterday in my effort to stay out of the way and still do something Christmas oriented I worked on Christmas Cards. They are all prepped, addressed, with their Christmas letter included and signed by me waiting neatly for my husband's signature so they can be sent on Friday.

But that left me with, what to do for today while the Painter is here and I found some SCA notices to work on to keep me busy. But, I'm thrilled to report that the painter has departed with the caveat that the paint won't be dry until this evening. Since he only painted the ceiling in the kitchen, that means I can start working in there on getting things back to normal and start the baking process! Yum - Christmas Cookies!!!! And with it only being 10 AM here, there is a chance that I can have some done before David gets home for lunch which means that he can potentially take some back to work thus alleviating us from eating them all ourselves. I do so love this time of year!

Although there is one downer to the Christmas Cookie scenario . . as so aptly put by a friend of mine in the SCA last night, I need a Cookie Baking Buddy! For those who are not familiar with this tradition of mine, let me explain. It all started several years ago when my Stepmom wanted to find something for the two of us to do together and so we picked a Saturday and baked a variety of different cookies all day and then split them up after the day was through to take to parties or give away as gifts. The tradition continued for a few years even after she was no longer my Stepmom, but just my friend. However, as life always does, the tradition was disrupted and we just weren't able to find a time that the two of us could agree upon anymore. On to phase 2 of the tradition . . I looked to my cousins and asked them if they wanted to participate on a Cookie Baking Day and so we did that for a couple of years with much entertainment. But alas, time grew short for everyone again. So on to phase 3, where I turned to friends which expanded to the SCA friends and we did that for the past couple of years. But now I've moved away and so I find myself in need of a Phase 4 of Cookie Baking tradition . .finding a new Cookie Buddy. Although I'm proud to announce that Phase 3 still get together (as they did this year) and enjoy their time doing the same Cookie Baking Tradition.

But enough rambling for this post. I've got cookies to bake!!! Here's wishing you all merry holiday traditions and preparations.

No comments: