Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The full day in Madrid

The first full day, David and I headed down to the restaurant to make use of the breakfast and then David headed off to work and I headed out to see the local architecture. I'll admit that I didn't wander too far off the street that the hotel was situated on. The crush of people and the beauty of the buildings around me kept me more than occupied though.


From 2008-1201 Madrid Spain


Having wandered quite a bit up and down the main strip I decided it was definitely time for lunch and so I headed back to the hotel briefly before heading over to the KFC. Once again, brilliant, the Chicken Burger was written in English and if that failed I could remember that I wanted "Numero Uno". Problemo . . she started asking me questions. Thankfully she was patient with me and we used a little bit of hand gestures to get the "tostatos" or potatoes and the size of the drink figured out and I sat down to a tasty lunch. Unfortunately the KFC in Spain doesn't offer biscuits either . . what a shame. After lunch I headed back to the hotel for a rest and to await David's return from his meeting.

Once David returned, he rested a bit and then we headed out to see what else we could see. As we came upon a TGI Friday's we decided we were hungry enough for an appetiser and so in we went.

From 2008-1201 Madrid Spain


Once inside, however we decided we were hungry enough to eat dinner and so David partook of the steak and I partook of the chicken and steak fajitas. Hunger satisfied we headed out again to see what we could see.

From 2008-1201 Madrid Spain


The Christmas lights were once again illuminated which made the place even more magical. Despite the hustle and bustle of the city, they have lots of parks with fountains and/or statuary which provide these bits of calm.

As we walked we ran across a "Taste of Home" in that there was a restaurant called The Iowa claiming to sell Iowan dishes. I'll admit the menu did not look appetising in the least but we found the concept comical.

From 2008-1201 Madrid Spain


We wandered as far as the Palace to check on the opening times for the gate so that we could come back Wednesday before our flight.

No comments: