Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tintern Abbey or bust

So after seeing Raglan Castle, I was bound and determined to share Tintern with my Mom. Set in the Forest of Dean and the way fraught with winding twists and turns of narrow roads and heavy traffic, I'm sure she started to wonder if we would ever arrive. But I persevered and we arrived without a problem . . well, okay . . without a scratch on us or the truck . . there were some close calls from opposite lane traffic crossing the lines, but I was a model driver, you can ask my Mom.

You have have noticed the pictures over the last couple of blogs have been better both in color and focus. That would be because David was a dear heart and got me a new camera for Christmas and gave it to me early so that I could enjoy taking most excellent photos while my Mom is visiting and we are seeing things. Yipppeeee. Although I think I will need a degree in the thing before I fully understand how it works and all of it's features, but I'm more than happy to learn along the way. The photo of Tintern to the right here is actually a panoramic which I took with the new camera . . if you look really closely you might be able to tell where the camera spliced 2 photos together to get the full image, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do half bad on lining it up.

Anyway . . Mom enjoyed Tintern as well and she was surprised at the scale and sheer size of the cathedral portion as well as the layout and land available for the complex itself. Tintern is still hauntingly beautiful and it is really such a shame that in the 16th Century they were so good at destroying these types of monasteries and churches. There is quite a bit of restoration work going on and so you can view the pieces laying about as they await to be reapplied to the structure.

Fabulous!



Posted by Picasa

No comments: