Sunday, April 4, 2010

Organization, a twist, and some site-seeing

This past week I realized that this weekend was one of the few that we were going to have at home and asked my dear husband if we could go so some local site - anything - just as long as we "checked something to see off the list". Of course his response was the same as yours probably is, "You have plenty of time left in this location to see things." However I know how these things go . . we get busy with life and forget to do the site-seeing portion. (laughing)

With the knowledge that we were going to go see something this weekend, I spent yesterday working in the back storage room of the basement. I've gotten almost motivated to sew but all my fabric was in bins and it was impossible to see what I had and to find what I needed even if I could remember what I had. Sigh. To remedy this problem, we found some industrial shelves at the local Lowe's and so I set myself to putting together shelves and emptying bins. Before I could undertake this though, I had to move the stuff I had stored on top of the bins when the communications company was working in the basement out to the garage for storage (for lack of anywhere else to put it). Have I mentioned previously my propensity for being a clutz? On my second to the last trip out the door I misjudged the stair and fell. Somehow I didn't end up with a black eye from the box or a broken nose from the sidewalk. When I picked myself up I decided that my shins and knees were bruised and scraped and my ankle twinged but that seemed to be the worst of it. I decided I was done doing stairs for a bit and sat down with some ice on what I determined was the most painful of the bruising. After some time I did make it back to the basement to start working on those shelves and that fabric but I didn't get to far as I was limping everywhere I went.

We went out later for dinner and a movie and, while I was limping, it didn't seem the damage was too bad. This morning though my ankle twinged just right to make me think I might have done something more serious, but then after some time I got back to the favorment I was giving it yesterday and it seemed no worse than before. What was additionally clear to me this morning though was that I had pulled muscles in my shoulders and jambed my wrists as my arms had gone forward to catch me, successfully. After taking some ibuprofen, on we went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch and then a short exploration of Redondo Beach Pier. We ducked into some shops and found me a hat made of sea-grass so I can avoid future California sunburns during my morning walks. We also played a game of Air Hockey (which I won - again - that's 2 game sets in a row which is a rarity).

When we'd made the circuit once we headed for home, stopping along the way at 2 Lowe's until we could find the one that had the shelving we needed for the garage in stock. The shelving itself weighs 200 pounds and so, while we were able to slide it from the cart into the car at the store we ended up opening the box and taking it out in parts when we got home. Of course the one corner where we want to put the shelves is where we've been putting everything else since we arrived so much re-arranging needs to be done before we can assemble this unit and hopefully put some order to our garage again. David joked when we opened the garage door to put the unit in for storage, "I thought the garage was half empty not a week ago or so". Which was true but now we've been actually deciding what needs to be stored out there and with the knowledge that the new shelving unit was coming eventually we've been more liberal in our storage decisions.

Once we got home I put my leg up and put the ice on it again. It's doing okay but I need it to recover quickly as Antina is due out for a visit very soon and I know we'll be doing a lot of site-seeing inclusive of walking.

Well, off to bed for now. Happy Easter everyone!!!!

No comments: